Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Broadcast Feedback

Praise God for the valuable feedback I have received today from many of yesterday's viewers. I would like to discuss some of my thoughts as well as those provided to me from our Internet viewers.
  1. Video quality. Due to some technical difficulties and bandwidth limitations, we had to reduce the video quality significantly. Some have mentioned that it looked as though we were all part of the witness protection program (lol). David and I should have this issue resolved by the next broadcast. In the meantime, know that we are not trying to conceal identity and rest assured none of the study members have been featured on America's Most Wanted.
  2. Audio quality. I have received varying reports regarding the audio. After reviewing the video, I was able to discern most of what was said as long as I had headphones on and volume (both on the video player and on my computer) turned way up. There is a noticeable degradation in audio quality when many people are talking simultaneously, and/or when speaking down toward the ground. I have two solutions in mind which I intend to implement over the next couple studies. First, if I can get Ustream to recognize the Mini DV camera, the problem should self correct. Otherwise, we may need to stage a mic somewhere near the center of the group. I am hesitant to proceed with the second solution as I do not wish to distract from the group with something as obtrusive as a microphone.
  3. Pop-up Advertisements. I am sorry for the small ad banners that pop-up from the bottom of the video screen during broadcast. Please remember this is a free service (Ustream) which is requires a significant amount of technological hardware, software, and programming on the back-end. In order to maintain this free service, Ustream must generate ad revenue. We may be able to get rid of the ads in the future, if the Lord decides to bless and continue this approach. In the meantime, you can minimize ad distraction by clicking the full screen button located to the far left of the video player.
  4. Notes. Some had a hard time following the study because they did not have our notes. I would like to suggest posting the notes here - on the blog - a couple days prior to study. This can be done as just a regular blog post titled "Notes for February 9th 2009" etc. We can then link back to those notes from the Ustream page as well as from the chat room during the study.
  5. Chat Activity. I understand some would have liked more activity from me in the chat room. I intend to be more active once I am no longer using the built-in web cam on my Mac. It was a bit difficult to type without facing the computer so as not to distract viewers. A technical difficulty to hopefully be worked out by next week.
  6. Purpose. I received a question regarding our purpose in offering the live broadcast. Is it to allow others to listen and learn or to listen, interact and learn? I find much more value in the later as long as there is a small group of viewers. However, this is something we will need to discuss in person. Our current objective is to trial this concept for four weeks (three weeks remaining) and reevaluate. If God is blessing the live broadcast, we will continue and step out further. Otherwise, we will likely discontinue broadcasting and revert to the groups original method. If we are led to continue this venture, we will need to more clearly define our objectives.
Thank you all for watching and proving feedback as we attempt new things. I sincerely hope you can watch again next Monday and again evaluate the broadcast.

However, and above all, I hope you are gaining Biblical knowledge and growing closer to the Lord during these studies. This marginal talent of our live broadcast can easily be glorified by worldly standards, but if your spirit is not bearing witness to the Holy Word of God and gaining fruit through this study, it is vanity. Remember the fig tree in Mark 11:

13 And seeing a fig tree afar off having leaves, he came, if haply he might find any thing thereon: and when he came to it, he found nothing but leaves; for the time of figs was not yet.

14 And Jesus answered and said unto it, No man eat fruit of thee hereafter for ever. And his disciples heard it.

...

20 And in the morning, as they passed by, they saw the fig tree dried up from the roots.

21 And Peter calling to remembrance saith unto him, Master, behold, the fig tree which thou cursedst is withered away.

22 And Jesus answering saith unto them, Have faith in God.

Notice the fig tree had leaves and appeared healthy by all worldly standards, yet it bore no fruit. The fig tree's faith was nothing more than a bluff, a facade, a goat who called itself a sheep, a mock Christian, a false ministry. As we evaluate the broadcast aspect of this study, I pray God will show us fruit, not just leaves. If he reveals leaves, let us remove it completely.

Likewise, if you are watching the broadcast, I would much rather you hear and believe then concentrate on the quality of the broadcast. I appreciate your feedback and it will definitely help us reach others, but it is so much more important that you simply listen and grow in Christ.

4 comments:

  1. Martin,
    Great Post! I really appreciate everything that was said. I would like to address the issue as to the purpose of our live feed. It really kind of came about as an opportunity for loved ones and absent members to view the group remotely. I don't mind answering questions posted in the comment section afterwards but I am afraid we will never make it through the study if we try and answer chat questions during the study. It may be helpful to post our twitter profiles, and let people pose questions there to the member of their choice. This would allow that personal relationship to build and would not hinder the study. I'd be interested to hear what everyone thinks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David/Martin,

    I think its important to do anything possible to insure the integrity of what God is doing on Monday nights. Those who watch would be cheated as well ourselves and God otherwise. We need to try and forget the camera is even there.

    Maybe, if this grows we could have an occasional forum dedicated to responding to those that reply in real time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Posted a comment on the video site regarding the most recent technology updates. In short, we should be good for Monday. More details on the video site.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately I will not be there in person Monday night. I have come down with a bad cold, and in an attempt to stay well, because we might be traveling soon, will be watching from home. I would appreciate your prayers.

    ReplyDelete