Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Considerations for a New Blog

As we move forward in considering a new website and stronger blog presence, I will post information and updates here. Please comment liberally as we progress.

Theme
Some themes for your viewing pleasure and consideration. Please let me know what you think and provide feedback.

Those listed below are in my preferred order. I favor the top one far above any other but it is a premium theme (meaning it is not free). Still, the functionality, simplicity, aesthetics, etc. are some of the best I have ever seen.


http://www.woothemes.com/demo/?t=19 (premium theme)

http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/elegant-grunge

http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/inove

http://www.woothemes.com/demo/?t=25

http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/gravel

http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/autumn-forest

If you have another theme you would like to recommend, please link to it in the comments section below.

Hosting
I have used
Host Monster in the past and have had tremendous success with their simplicity, stability, security, and price. Their prices are as follows:

3 Months @ $9.95/month + $30.00 Setup + $10.00 Domain Registration (Total: $69.85)
6 Months @ $9.95/month + $30.00 Setup + $10.00 Domain Registration (Total: $99.70)
12 Months @ $6.95/month (Total: $83.40)
24 Months @ $5.95/month (Total: $142.80)

36 Months @ $5.95/month (Total: $214.20)

While the 12 month price was originally discussed, my recommendation is to go with the 24 month because it is the best value. It also provides a little extra motivation to blog all the more as it is a bit more of an investment. {{begin exhortation}} Currently, David has the vast majority of posts, distantly followed by Tim. The rest of us (myself included) should be making better use of this tool.{{end exhortation}}

Those are the two subject I leave you all to consider for now. Please provide feedback concerning the theme and hosting below. I will update this periodically as the project progresses. As we come to agreement on a plan of action I will start a cost estimate sheet as well.

4 comments:

  1. Martin,



    I have previewed the themes you have suggested and all seem good although the 2 Woothemes are clearly the cleanest and offer more "grabbing" visuals. I actually like the second Wootheme slightly better, probably because it seems a little less busy but either of those 2 ,I think, would best the best fit. I agree on the hosting fees also, considering stewardship, we should look at the 24 month listing. Lastly in consideration of your exhortation, you being the exhorter and I being the exhorted(I did have exhortee but that's not a word) I receive it gladly and challenge you to a post off! LOL. Good stuff! Thanks for all your hard work and lending out your expertise!



    Your Buddy, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Martin! "Grunge" is my favorite but whatever you guys think will be fine with me. The two year thing is certainly the best value, but what if we decide to do something completely different, or what if the hosting site becomes inadequate for our needs, do we lose our investment? I might lean to being a little more conservative and weigh in on a one year commitment. (Remember I am unlearned about these things. What I may be thinking may not be a problem at all.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Martin

    I think 1and1 has a better deal on hosting.
    I have used them for about 2 years.

    Beginner is $3.99 a month. (on special now for $1.99 a month for 6 months.) It includes 1 free domain.

    Home is $4.99 a month. (on special now for $2.49 for 6 mos.)
    Includes 2 free domains.

    Business (this is the one I have) is $9.99 a month.
    (on special for $4.99 for 6 mos.) It includes 3 free domains.

    They all have a $9.99 setup.

    I've never had a problem with their service. If I have a question, I can always reach a tech support person who has always been very knowledgeable.

    I liked their service so much that I became an affiliate.
    You will pay the same whether you order through me or straight from their website.
    http://www.1and1.com/?k_id=16556851

    ReplyDelete