Friday, February 27, 2009

Wheat and Tares - By Matthew Henry

Commentary on Matthew 13:24-43 - "Observe, Such is the proneness of fallen man to sin, that if the enemy sow the tares, he may even go his way, they will spring up of themselves and do hurt; whereas, when good seed is sown, it must be tended, watered, and fenced, or it will come to nothing. The tares appeared not till the blade sprung up, and brought forth fruit. There is a great deal of secret wickedness in the hearts of men, which is long hid under the cloak of a plausible profession, but breaks out at last. As the good seed, so the tares, lie a great while under the clods, and at first springing up, it is hard to distinguish them; but when a trying time comes, when fruit is to be brought forth, when good is to be done that has difficulty and hazard attending it, then you will return a discern between the sincere and the hypocrite: then you may say, This is wheat, and that is tares."

2 comments:

  1. How true, and how much I see this in myself. Last night I had set aside some time for prayer and while in that place, when I got quiet and waited on God my heart wandered and was thinking how special I was, "Look, everyone else is at home watching TV, and I am praying." I was pretty proud of myself until God broke... His admonishing was as gentle as yours. I'll remind everyone here once again of John Bunyan's words, "There is enough sin in my greatest prayer to damn the whole world."

    ReplyDelete
  2. David, did you know you can imbed a media player on the blogsite from Heartcry by copying and pasting to your site. It has about 10 sermons that will feed in from Heartcry.It's real easy. I just put it on my myspace page.

    ReplyDelete