Saturday, February 21, 2009

Hasty Prayer

Ecclesiastes 5:2-Be not rash with thy mouth, and let not thine heart be hasty to utter any thing before God: for God is in heaven, and thou upon earth: therefore let they words be few.



This verse needs no real exposition. How careful would we be if we were standing before the President of the United States? Regardless of how we felt about a President, I am sure that we would tread and speak carefully out of fear and respect. And yet, in most Churches and Christian gatherings, when the schedule says it's time to pray everyone bows their heads and someone starts praying before most people have closed their eyes. I am amazed at how quickly people just start running their mouth when they are supposed to be in the presense of God. Isn't prayer something that God calls us into? Does he not know what we need before we ask it? It is God who invites us into communion with him and WE receive benefits and blessings thereby. Let us, who believe in the Sovereignty of God not cast away this understanding when it comes to prayer. Yes, we may approach boldly but that does not mean presumptuously. If it were not for Christ and his Righteousness we could not come to the base of the Mountain, much less into the very throneroom. Make much of Christ! Cling to him, look to him and do not run infront of him into the Presence of God. Keep it in the forefront of your mind that our God is a Consuming Fire and as CS Lewis wrote, "He is not Tame."

5 comments:

  1. Thanks David.
    I have a question I would like anyone here to respond to.
    Because of the setting or company of those I have the opportunity to pray with outside of "our" fellowship I find myself somewhat compromised because of thier doctrinal positions concerning the sovreignty of God. Should I respond in my prayer in these settings with contradictory expressions to God that are more in line with the truth of His sovreignty?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim,

    It is my belief, that when we pray, we pray to God. We shouldn't be concerned one way or the other with the reaction those prayers draw from others. I do think it interesting to note that Christ prayed in such a way as to teach those around him on more than one occassion. Don't hold back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. We should pray to honor God and seek Him and thank Him. I think Christ could pray and teach others because of who He was then and is now. We always should pray as though He is right there...because He is.

    ReplyDelete