Monday, November 23, 2009

Prayer

I of all men am no expert in the practice or understanding of prayer, and even though I often long to spend time in prayer and see it as my chief work while in this world I most often ignore the spirit’s urgings.

I have heard recently that God will listen and lend His hand to our cause if we are only persistent, if we simply do not give up. This teaching was gleaned from the passage in Luke 18:1-9, the parable of the persistent widow. It’s important whenever we hear a passage of scripture that seems to contradict what we know about the character of God to examine it in light of all of scripture as best we can. One of the first things that came to mind for me was the Apostle Paul’s persistent plea that God remove the “thorn from his flesh” and God’s refusal to do the very thing that Paul saw as necessary to the advancement of his ministry. So what is our Lord saying in these passages?

I spent some time this morning in Matthew Henry and what I read there confirmed my own understanding of prayer, that it changes me. In prayer I do bring my problems to God simply because I show up… I am the problem, and I bring myself to Him. God’s refusal to answer certain things is designed to develop my character, and my persistence proves and exercises my faith. The greatest faith a man can have is the resolution that “whatever happens” God is good and He is working all things out for good (Romans 8:28), and that good is His glory and will ultimately be the best for us. I often wonder if those great saints who died and are continuing to die for our faith cursed the day they had to pay with their lives. History proves the opposite, many hugged the post on which they were tied and sang hymns extolling his majesty as they burned in the flames.

As you look through the letters Paul wrote to the church you see his manner and the content of his prayer. Eph 1:17-19 “ ,that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him, the eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, and what the exceeding greatness of His power toward us who believe, according to the working of His mighty power.” Phil 1:9-11 “And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in knowledge and all discernment, that you may approve the things that are excellent, that you may be sincere and without offense till the day of Christ, being filled with the fruits of righteousness which are by Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God.” Read also Col 1:9-18 which is a wonderful passage…

And finally I leave you with this prayer lifted up by George Whitefield which I believe God is honoring today 239 years after his death…

“Yea…that we shall see the great Head of the Church once more . . . raise up unto Himself certain young men whom He may use in this glorious employ. And what manner of men will they be? Men mighty in the Scriptures, their lives dominated by a sense of the greatness, the majesty and holiness of God, and their minds and hearts aglow with the great truths of the doctrines of grace. They will be men who have learned what it is to die to self, to human aims and personal ambitions; men who are willing to be ‘fools for Christ’s sake’, who will bear reproach and falsehood, who will labor and suffer, and whose supreme desire will be, not to gain earth’s accolades, but to win the Master’s approbation when they appear before His awesome judgment seat. They will be men who will preach with broken hearts and tear-filled eyes, and upon whose ministries God will grant an extraordinary effusion of the Holy Spirit, and who will witness ‘signs and wonders following’ in the transformation of multitudes of human lives.”

Prayer changes us not God.

No comments:

Post a Comment